**NOTE: This is a barrel blank and will require machining, fitment, etc...
By designing a bolt action barrel blank, we have opened up countless options for chambering in your favorite caliber and having the ability to fit a large variety of actions. Our bolt-action barrels are available in a variety of calibers, lengths, contours and twist rates. Your bolt-action barrel will arrive ready for thread and chamber by your gunsmith.
PROOF Research’s barrel blanks may be finished with a wide variety of custom chambers for standardized or wildcat cartridges per the gunsmith’s and end user’s preferences. As such, there is no guarantee of performance in terms of accuracy, muzzle velocity or bullet stability.
This is especially true for wildcat cartridges that have no standardized chamber, cartridge design or pressure limits. PROOF Research’s barrels have been designed for safe operation with the vast majority of known cartridges and within SAAMI and CIP pressure limits. If you have any questions about the safety or performance potential of your planned rifle build, please contact our Customer Service department.
We make our steel barrels in-house with the exact same commitment to quality and repeatability as employ on our carbon fiber barrels. The drilling, rifling, and lapping process is identical to our composite barrels. We start with the same steel as we use in the carbon fiber barrels. It is a double stress-relieved 416R stainless steel, a pre-hardened chromium stainless steel that was specifically designed by engineers in collaboration with rifle barrel makers to provide the consistent, high quality and durability the firearms industry demands.
- Excellent machinability for gun drilling and reaming, plus exceptional polishability for uniform lapping
- A homogeneous microstructure which responds to heat treatment providing a uniform hardness along the length of the barrel
- An optimum combination of high tensile strength along with requisite toughness to withstand extreme chamber pressures encountered during firing
- Excellent erosion wear characteristics and corrosion resistance
- Barrel Material: 416-R
- Rifling Type: 4 Groove
- Barrel Caliber: .243
- Barrel Twist: 1:7.5
- Barrel Length: 28"
- Muzzle Thread: N/A
- Barrel Weight: 6 lb - 11 oz